Friday, November 27, 2009

The Waiting Room



I arranged an “appointment” with my local GP, as you do, and made the appointment for 0900am to see the DR. In my thinking this gets me in before they are running late, beating the morning rush. I arrive politely at 5 to 9  (just in case they slip me in early), cause I am like that, thinking of the Dr’s and providing an opportunity for them to get ahead.

On my arrival I notify reception that I, Glenda Fieldes; that's fieldes with a “e” have arrived for my 9am appointment.

I had learnt to notify the girls at the reception of my arrival BECAUSE; on my last visit it was bought to my attention that this is in fact  what the tiny weeny sign in the waiting room tells you to do. I learned the hard way though, at my last visit I totally by chance noticed that this "procedure for arrivals" was pinned up on the notice board; with the other three hundred notifications about the surgery, your skeletal system, men’s health, woman’s health, your colon, various itis'es and ectomies and even octomies, and as an after thought, just to "inform" patients was pinned over the top; YEP; Swine Flu information …..

So I settle, sitting reading the national georaphic; because I’m a “good Christian woman ” and don't read the “OK Gossip mag” that is actually screaming at me to be picked up......and so ….9 o'clock arrives, …..on the edge of my seat, I am prepped, ready to pounce into the DRs “room” as soon as he calls my name …well I am obviously next because.....I had an "appointment"... I Mrs think ahead had rang and asked for a 0900am slot, so I was next.
Out comes Dr FIXIT, and, as I  look towards him in anticipation.... BAM he calls MRS Walk with a limp, ok ...breath....not a problem, must have had an 8.45am appointment and Dr FIXIT is just running a bit late.

I can cope with this, rapid breathing kicks in, slight palpatations and the ok mag is looking really three times the size it was on my arrival and really  inviting by now,  I give in,  OK Gossip  wins. Well it is extenuating circumstaces after all.

15 mins pass, and yes I am waiting all this time and then  ….in the doorway appears Mrs Walk with a limp (miraculously now cured as  skips out in front of the doc and exits the building).

Breathing rythmically my heart screams WOOHOO.....my turn ….it is now 9.15 and afterall, I did have an appointment; all in good faith, once again I ready myself to respond, standing in anticipation this time, ready to hear MY name announced, the Dr appears .... My turn …...BUT noooo He Calls Mr “Crink in the neck”...(snuffle ufflelufflerakkashu snuffle  slips quietly out undermy breath, and no,  it was not an utterance for interpretation)

ok sitting back, slight onset of perspiration, deep breaths, in.....out.... Deep Breaths, heart racing, I DID HAVE AN APPOINTMENT....breathe.... be calm, its about others remember, OTHERS!!! …..the Drs are just running a bit late, I can wait A BIT. Thankfully ….......after what seemed an hour shortly Mr Crink in the neck appears, he is somewhat spritely also…..obviously feeling miraculously cured,  leaves the building shaking and nodding his head

(I pause to ponder:  this Docs good, must be worth the wait )

SO……. same again with Miss growing pains, and again with Master toddler tantrum ..... Dr FIXIT continues to call several other people, hellooo, is anybody aware that  I RANG AND I HAD AN APPOINTMENT

The time is now 10.30 and slight irritation is now embedded in my attitude, I am pretty sure by now that I have been overlooked.........

And this is how my assumtion of being overlooked has me;

  • I have a feeling of being out of control, check
  • Very frustrated, check
  • Analysing the reason, check,
  • Fighting in my mind with what is going on, check
  • Wondering what on earth flew up my nose, check
What is going on......When is it my turn. …..I made an appointment, I did everything right, I rang , I gave my number , I was clear about my intent ….

Right!.... that's it …... I'll go and see those girls at reception.
AHEM I HAD AN APPOINT - MENT ….and then I hear GLENDA FIELDES; Fieldes with an “e” !!

I've titled todays post: The Waiting Room …...........because this picture I just shared reminds me of when we seek God for answers or with requests and feel that God is making us wait, or maybe we feel He may have overlooked us.

When we have set our prayers before God. (Made the "appointment"if you like)

Praying for breakthrough, results, direction, change, healing, ministry, dreams and destiny's, for salvation, for this or that and now you are faithfully awaiting God's hand to move ….

You know in your heart that God will and that He wants to answer your prayer, but it seems like “Mrs Walks with a limp”, Mr Crink in the neck and Madame Growing pains, in fact, everyone around you is getting in first, and of course, you rejoice and be glad for them but................... grrrr …..when is it my turn ...What about me.......Why God Why?......When GOD When?........What God ....What?

This poses 2 Questions that we can focus on;

     1.  Why does God allow us to wait?

     2.  How must we act whist we are waiting?

In answer to the first question,

Psalm 27:13-14(AMP)  [What, would have become of me] had I not believed that I would see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living!

Wait and hope for and expect the Lord; be brave and of good courage and let your soul be enduring [lasting continuing durable stable] Yes, wait for and hope and expect the Lord.

Why does God sometimes allow us to wait, to linger, to hold on, to experience delay:

  • to teach us that WE are not in control....... (HE is indeed in control.)
  • to teach us patience..... (a fruit we all need to continue to nourish and grow)
  • to teach us faith (think of the miracles of the past that had indeed strengthened your faith )
  • to teach us to prefer and rejoice with one another (its not always me first)
  • to teach us gratefulness (it could be worse)
  • to teach us joy (the joy of the lord is our strength)
  • to teach us the meaning of grace (His grace is always sufficient)
  • and to teach us to live, trusting Him
Rms 8:28 We are assured [certain, guaranteed, confident] and know that all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good; to and for those who love God, who love him and are called according to His design and purpose.

Because sometimes we get so BUSY darting to and from and expecting immediacy, especially in to-day’s NOW culture. And I think that God wants to slow us down and teach us to be still and rest to wait on Him .

Which brings me to the 2nd Question ...How?

How do we wait?  Or more to the point, how should we act and be while we are waiting?

Psalm 37:7 AMP says this:  "Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for HIM and patiently [uncomplaining, good naturedly] lean yourself on Him; fret not because of him who prospers in his ways, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass."

So How should we be .......

  • Quiet, calm, gentled and still as we wait on God,
  • Be prayerful before Him,
  • Be wise with the situation and your the time you have, make the most of every opportunity.
  • Allow time in your schedule, cut back on busyness to hear from and wait on Him
  • Don't bother yourself foolishly, unwisely or irrationally with those who appear to be getting all they want, need or ask for.
  • Rejoice with His own when good things come to pass for them
Remember this daily  “In God, the One and the Only" – everything you need comes

The Message in Hebrews 10 has this to say about waiting,  “So don't throw it all away now, You were sure of yourselves then, and its still a sure thing! But you need to stick it , staying with God's plan so you'll be there for the promised completion. It won’t be long now, he’s on the way, he’ll show up at any minute. If your right with me you’ll thrive [flourish, blossom, succeed, prosper] on trust. If you cut n run I won’t be happy. We are not quitters, we stay, we survive, we trust all the way.
The Main purpose for our waiting is so that we can grow and mature spiritually, so that we will draw closer to God.

He is the same today, yesterday and forever, He never changes. He does not honour our self pity...moaning, not picking and complaining. He does honour and respond to prayer in faith and faith in action though.

So when waiting on God for whatever reason, make for yourself a quiet, settled, calm place, where you won't be tempted or influenced to role play before God.

And just be there, as simply and honestly as you can manage.

The focus will shift from you to God, as you begin to sense His grace.

Finally………..

Mathew 6:6-13 from the Message says this  “The world is full of so called “prayer warriors” who are prayer ignorant. They are full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense”

“This is your Father you are dealing with, and He knows better than you, what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply:

You can PRAY like this: (MSG Version)
Our Father in Heaven

Reveal who you are

Set the World right

Do what's best – as above, so below

Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.

Keep us safe from ourselves and the devil

Your in charge

You can do anything you want

You're ablaze in beauty

YES YES YES

This is why and this is how we wait in Gods Waiting Room

NOTE: Thanks to Pastor Cobus Siebrits (Sth Africa) for Hhs amazing word and graciuos heart and spirit as he was the inspiration for this message (and some elements of this post  were generated by himunder the guidence of the Holy Spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment