Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil. (Matt 6.13 MSG)
Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes
Who, although being essentially one with God, and in the form of God, possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God, did not think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped or retained, but stripped Himself of all privileges and rightful dignity, so as to assume the guise of a servant, in that He became like men and was born a human being. And after He had appeared in human form, He abased and humbled Himself [still further] and carried His obedience to the extreme of death, even the death of the cross!
A nineteenth century dictionary say this of humility;
- Humility a prominent Christian “grace” (Rom. 12:3; 15:17, 18; 1 Cor. 3:5-7; 2 Cor. 3:5; Phil. 4:11-13). It is a state of mind well pleasing to God (1 Pet. 3:4); it preserves the soul in tranquility (Ps. 69:32, 33), and makes us patient under trials (Job 1:22).
- a remembrance of our sins\evil doings (Lam. 3:39), and by the thought that it is the way to honour (Prov. 16:18),
- and reflection on the fact that the greatest promises are made to the humble (Ps. 147:6; Isa. 57:15; 66:2; 1 Pet. 5:5).
This is not the picture I see painted across the canvass of the most amazing piece of work and instruction for life, the Bible; nor do I capture any glimpse of this through the life of Christ.
God says when you are humble, you are free from pride and arrogance.
You know that in your flesh you are inadequate, yet you also know who you are in Christ.
This in turn leads me to think of being delivered from evil. Does it not take humility (freedom from pride and arrogance) to admit in the first instance that we are in fact inadequate and that there is the chance, well, the very possibility that we may actually need delivering from evil. And then may I suggest the application of humility will protect us from evil.
Translation of the word “evil” can also be the “evil one” this then means that we are in a sense asking God to deliver us from clutches of beezlebub the enemy, the chief architect of all evil, the bitter enemy of our very salvation AND THAT my friends makes this a significant part of the Lord's Prayer …. and a very wise and pertinent instruction to us
The “Word of God” spells out in very simplistically “The evil one (whose very name means slanderer) roams about like a hungry lion looking for whom he can devour, waiting for someone to ply his wickedness (1 Peter 5:8-9)
The enemy's intent as John the apostle describes him is as a thief coming to steal kill and destroy (John 10:10)
(1 Thes 2:18) identifies that he is the one who hinders us from the pursuit of good and right intentions
Today he is tempting us as he did Jesus in the wilderness and Adam and Eve in the Garden.
Temppting us with all that appears to look good:
- Lust of the eyes, (think of the media hype for stuff)
- Lust of the Flesh and (again look good have everyrthing NOW, sexual provocation, drugs alcohol etc etc
- Pride of life. I say again THE PRIDE OF LIFE peoples.
*By the way did you know that the root word for humility or humble is “humus” meaning “rich earth” or “dirt” the very material out of which us humans were created. Thats just “food for thought” I am not expanding on that today…....though I am sure there is a definite connection in relation to the original sin\temptations of Adam and Eve, the lure of the enemy and humility.. …........maybe another day *So getting back to “lead us not into temptation” the cunning ways of the enemy and humility.
Humility can point you heavenward and offset or deflect the enemy's plans, it can assist to “deliver you from evil in a sense........God has already provided so many instructions to help us be delivered from the evil one ...(hence why we need to be in realationship communbicating with God and deep in the word often and more often) ….....check out these gems;
- Humility diffuses arguments - You do not need to stand up for yourself in an angry manner. And you do not have to win every argument. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger (Proverbs 15:1). (You treat people with respect also)
- Use of humility allows you to - respond to unfair treatment without being overcome by bitterness. Godly humility means you do not feel a need for vengeance or revenge. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you (Ephesians 4:31-32).
- Humility makes you real and honest - When you understand God and humility, you don't need to act like a big shot there are no false front's. The better you know God, the less you have to prove.
- You can actually chow down on humble pie without choking on it - When you are humble, you can respond to and learn from criticism without defensiveness—You take it more like feedback treating it like a continuous improvement opportunity and not reacting in a mean and nasty way out of insecurity and ignorance to who you are in God and that is whether the criticism is deserved or not deserved. Likewise, you can be aware of your failures without being emotionally devastated.
- You can seek forgiveness or say I am sorry - Even if you think you are only one percent wrong, you can easily apologize for what you did wrong. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift (Matthew 5:23-24).
- You can communicate with a right attitude - You can talk courteously and lovingly, regardless of the situation—even if you need to be firm or take strong actions. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (Ephesians 4:29).
- Humility means you are aware of your gifts and talents and know that they are from and belong to GOD You know what they are for and how to use them and how to mange any additional ones that come your way as you are faithful Although I am less than the least of all of God’s people, this grace was given to me: to preach to the gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ (Ephesians 3:8).
- You can be direct and speak with honesty and influence and where necessary you can be strong in your communication. You don't need to grovel or be fake There are times when we need to take strong actions. Here are two examples of taking strong actions while maintaining a humble spirit: Jesus was meek of spirit, yet he chased the moneychangers out of the temple (Matthew 21:12 and Mark 11:15-16). and as an employer, I can discipline or fire someone, yet do so quietly and gently.
UNDER YOUR FEET power to deflect the attacks of the enemy.
God and Humility is more about success in deflecting the evil intentions that tempt you daily.
- Its about the in the application of Christ alive in you transferred to the people of your world.
- Its about having more of His influence in situations and bringing light where darkness coulde reign.
- Its about successfully deflecting the darts of the enemy and delivering them straight back to his wretched camp.
So.....next time you pray and ask God to “deliver you from the evil one” think about your Humility. Think of Humility as adeliverence weapon you already have to empower you to win over evil and the evil one.
Think to yourself how much of Christ's Humilty that God has already given you and I and consider, stop to ponder, am I activating to deflect the power of satan. The darts he is throwing.Think of glorifying God first before promoting yourself, putting OTHERS first, not about your looks, your gifts, your better thans , your possessions, your accomplishments and your status remember he has given you all......and remeber at times to from where you have come.
Think about the enemys tricks His temptations to "abrupt" your God given life.
Think about it in terms of the following;
- “Desires of the flesh”,
- “Desires of the Eyes,” and
- “Pride of life”.......and choose humility.........
But the same Christ who is alive in you, conquered and beat these. HE CHOSE LIFE,
- He deflected the enemys temptations of what looked good what felt good and who he could be.
- He was a humble man who knew it was all about His Father His Word and His Power.
- is it a bit tight is it hard to swallow ,
- is it hanging like a bag or
- is it Perfect in His eyes